EC Men's Soccer Falls to Principia in Second SLIAC match

Photo courtesy of Summer Inselmann.
Photo courtesy of Summer Inselmann.

EUREKA — The Eureka men's soccer team dropped its second conference game of the season on Tuesday afternoon when they were bested by Principia, 6-0, at McKinzie Field. 

The Red Devils were within a goal at halfime, but the Panthers poured in five goals after the break.

Led by senior forward Michael Hansen (Peoria, Ill./Limestone), the Red Devils were on the offensive early. In what was perhaps their best opportunity of the night, Hansen connected with Adam Newell (Morton, Ill./Morton) with the outside of his foot. Newell was able to corral the ball and make a run towards goal, but his ball went just wide of the net. 

The lone goal of the first half came in the 38th minute of play when Principia's Gabriele Ferreira Theodoro was brought down in the box.  Cameron Sellers smashed the ensuing penalty kick into the right side of the net to make it 1-0.

The quick and organized Panthers offense was relentless in the first half, pounding shot after shot. Luckily the Red Devils' defense made it difficult for them to finish and was able to go into halftime only down a goal.

It was a different story in the second half as the Panthers offense came alive. In the 50th minute, Principia's Cole Heinbaugh capitalized off of a rebound that stemmed from a shot by his teammate Seth Arens.

Then, in the 74th minute, Principia's Patrick Sherman danced around several defenders to convert a 20-yard missile. 

The Panthers would convert on another penalty kick just one minute later that would put them in front 4-0. They would go on to add two more goals in the 79th and 83rd minutes from Sherman and Nathan Babcock, respectively. 

Red Devils keeper Moises Aldana (Spring Valley, Ill./Hall) recorded a game-high 15 saves. Hansen recorded a team-high three shots for the Red Devils. 

The Red Devils (2-5-1) will look to bounce back and get their first conference win on Saturday when travel to Fulton, Missouri, to take on Westminster at 5 p.m.